Wednesday, December 05, 2007

And now a message from your corporate sponsor

There's plenty of ball-talk at Tedtalk; I'd rather have my molars drilled with a rusty nail and a hammer than listen to Bono yammer about Africa.

But there's some cool stuff there. Soothing powerpoint presentations about humanity's steady progress towards better health, lowered birth rates, longer life, and higher earnings. Watch it before your bedtime.

Larry Brilliant puts up a rather weak case for optimism, (100 million displaced Bangladeshis crossing the border thanks to global warming) I actually feel more pessimistic after watching this.

My favourite presentation is from Kurzweil, whose trend analysis shows how exponential technological growth brings man and machine closer together. Watch that one! I insist. On the company dime if you have to. For one, you'll give better power point presentations after watching it.

No comments: