Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Cafegadgets.in's 100% cashback offer - Read the fine print!

I was really elated to hear about a 100% cashback offer from an Indian dotcom, Cafegadets.in, which seemed like a legit operation.

"The company claims that everyone making a purchase on CafeGadgets till June 15 is sure to get a gift voucher of the same amount that they spend. The customer can redeem his voucher on his next purchase on CafeGadgets within 1 month of purchase subject to certain terms and conditions. For example, if a customer buys a mobile phone worth Rs. 5000, he will get a gift voucher worth Rs. 5000 redeemable on his next purchase on cafegadgets.in, which is to be made within the next 1 month of purchase."

Sounds like an awesome deal right? Me and a friend thought we'd go two way on a Viewsonic monitor, work it down to half the price.

Here's what a good friend dug out for me though:

6. Buy any item of Rs. X amount on cafegadgets. CG Cash-Back Voucher entitles the owner to a discount of Rs. X on a minimum value of Rs. 5X on next purchase.

This basically comes up to a 16% discount on your total purchases.

9. Cafegadgets.in reserves the absolute right to withdraw and / or alter any of the terms and conditions of this 100% Cash Back Promotion at any time without giving any notice.

Hmm.. Maybe not.

4 comments:

tech_xpert said...

hey 16 or 20% discount on branded stuff doesnt seem to be too bad either...what say?

Sriram said...

I don't like to be bullshitted man. It's their selective wording in the press release to make an offer that sounds a lot more than it is that is my main gripe.

I'm also sure their 16-20% discount is recouped in shipping/tax or some addon that I am not aware of at this point.

Cafegadgets said...

Its flat 20% discount. It includes shipping cost + taxes + Original manufactuer's warranty

Sriram said...

Dear Cafegadgets,

I fail to see how a 20% discount is somehow inflated to a 100% cashback.

If I spend 10,000 on my first purchase, and 50,000 on my second purchase to avail of your so called "100% cashback" and I get a 10,000 Rupee discount on the second purchase, you are giving me Rs 10,000 off on the total purchase value: 60,000, which is 16%.

Any reader of your press release which has been published verbatim at PCworld.in would get the impression that he's getting a 50% discount.

I'm putting this up on my blog because I personally recommended your website to four other friends, and I dislike false advertising and inflated promises. Especially when you back it up with terms and conditions that make it especially shady.